Delta 8 THC is a newly popular cannabinoid that has swiftly taken over the cannabis industry. It delivers euphoric sensations and therapeutic wellness benefits. Better still, it’s currently legal in 30 states. Given its novel status, many people want to know, “How is Delta 8 made?” That’s what we are here to answer.
Delta 8 THC naturally occurs in hemp plants, but there is so little of it that any extraction process would be highly inefficient. Fortunately, modern-day chemistry has opened the doors of cannabinoid conversion, allowing us to make Delta 8 from other compounds! Join us as we uncover the incredible science behind your (potentially) new favorite cannabinoid.
What is Delta 8 THC?
Delta 8 THC (D8) is a natural cannabinoid produced by the cannabis plant. It has similar effects to Delta 9 THC, the primary cannabinoid in most marijuana strains. However, D8 is mellower and has fewer side effects. You won’t have to deal with the downsides of paranoia, couch lock, and brain fog that accompany Delta 9.
Here are the principle benefits you can expect to gain from D8 THC:
- Blissful sensations
- Deep relaxation
- Relief from aches and muscle tension
- Calm mind
- Positive mood
- Improved appetite and digestive function
- Better sleep
Where Is Delta 8 Derived From?
Delta 8 is one of over 100 compounds produced naturally in cannabis plants. There are two categories of the cannabis plant: hemp and marijuana. Hemp contains high levels of a cannabinoid called CBD (cannabidiol), while marijuana contains large amounts of Delta 9 THC. According to federal law, hemp plants may contain no more than 0.3% Delta 9 by dry weight volume.
Wait…Delta 9 THC? What happened to Delta 8? Well, over time, Delta 9 THC naturally starts to break down. Most of it becomes cannabinol (CBN), but a small amount converts into Delta 8, another form of THC with a slightly different molecular structure.
Both hemp and marijuana contain trace amounts of Delta 8 THC. Marijuana is illegal in many states, so you need to make sure your D8 comes from hemp plants, which are federally legal. There’s just one problem. D8 naturally occurs in such small amounts that extracting it from the raw plant material is extremely inefficient.
Thankfully, there is a way around this problem. Scientists can transform hemp-derived CBD into D8 THC. The secret to converting CBD into other cannabinoids lies in a process called isomerization.
What Is Isomerization?
Manufacturers convert CBD into Delta 8 THC using a technique called isomerization. To explain how it works, we have to give you a (very) basic chemistry lesson. Don’t worry. You’ve already passed the class just by showing up.
Isomers are chemical compounds that contain the same elements and the same number of atoms but have different molecular structures. That is to say, they contain the same ingredients arranged in a different way.
Delta 8 is an isomer of CBD. They have the same molecular formula (C21H30O2). However, if you look at the molecular structure of CBD vs. Delta 8, you will notice they have carbon bonds in different locations. Isomerization is a process that rearranges those carbon bonds, transforming one chemical variant into another.
Isomerization can naturally occur for a variety of reasons. The most common causes of isomerization are changes in pH and temperature and exposure to chemical catalysts. We do not want any unwanted chemicals getting in your D8 products, so we use changes in pH and heat to transform CBD into D8.
How Is CBD Isomerized Into Delta 8 THC?
Manufacturers convert CBD into Delta 8 THC using a five-stage process:
- Dissolve CBD extract into an organic solvent to create a more viscous (thicker) fluid. This helps the next steps of the process.
- Introduce an acid to the solution to lower the pH.
- Heat the solution for a few hours. This will induce the chemical reaction necessary to convert CBD to Delta 8 THC.
- Clean and filter the solution to remove the acid and solvent.
- Test the distillate to ensure potency.
The final step is crucial. We promise our customers a potent product, which is why we have every one of our D8 items tested by a third-party lab to verify Delta 8 content. The labs record their results in Certificates of Analysis (COAs), which you can find on our website.
How Is Delta 8 THC Made?
The simple lab process using cannabis conversion has made D8 products affordable for many consumers. Manufacturers use this basic two-stage production process to create Delta 8 THC products:
- Make CBD Extract: Manufacturers extract CBD from raw hemp material using a clean, CO2-based process. They run supercritical (highly compressed) liquid CO2 through raw hemp material. Then, they evaporate the CO2, leaving a concentrated CBD distillate.
- Convert CBD Into Delta 8 Via Isomerization: Manufacturers take the CBD distillate and perform the isomerization process discussed in the last section. This converts the CBD into Delta 8 distillate.
Once they have obtained the Delta extract, manufacturers can add it to a vast array of products using different techniques. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular D8 products right now.
What Type Of Products Are Made From Delta 8?
You can find Delta 8 in your favorite cannabis products. These are our most popular Delta 8 products:
- Flower: We coat CBD-rich hemp flower in our potent Delta 8 distillate to deliver the perfect smoke sesh. Our Delta 8 flower comes in your choice of the world’s most popular cannabis strains, including Sour Diesel, OG Kush, and Gorilla Glue.
- Gummies: Delta 8 gummies are a delicious way to get a boost of D8 whenever you need it. We make these vegan snacks from real fruit juice and organic cane sugar — no artificial anything! Each gummy has a precisely-measured dose of D8. We sell gummies in two strengths — 25 mg per gummy or 50 mg per gummy — but you can easily divide them in half for even more precise dosing.
- Capsules: D8 gel capsules offer a precise dose of D8 THC in a discreet package. They come in 10, 25, or 50 mg potencies. Like our gummies, these take effect in 45-60 minutes and last 6-8 hours.
- Oil: We combined D8 extract with nutritious hemp seed oil to create this potent tincture. Hemp seeds are a rich source of plant-based protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and omega fatty acids. For the fastest results, place a dose of this CBD oil under your tongue. This is called sublingual application, and it should take effect in 15-30 minutes. The effects should last 4-6 hours. Alternatively, you can take CBD oil like an edible or add it to your food.
- Wax: D8 crumble is a potent concentrate for use in dab rigs and vaporizers. We have crumble in a variety of popular strains such as OG Kush and Girl Scout Cookies. These are highly potent concentrates ideal for D8 lovers looking to step up their game.
Why Buy Delta 8 Products From Exhale Wellness?
Exhale Wellness is the number 1 D8 THC company in the world. Check out the countless reviews our customers have left, detailing how our D8 products have changed their lives. We’ve been featured in Forbes, the LA Times, LA Weekly, Observer, and the Ministry of Hemp podcast.
Our premium hemp products are made from the finest all-natural ingredients. We rely on local farms in Oregon and Colorado to deliver organic, domestically-grown products. We never use artificial ingredients or synthetic cannabinoids, and we have all our products tested by third-party labs.
We offer unique subscriber details and regular sales that you won’t want to miss. Every order comes backed by our 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Final Thoughts – How is Delta 8 Made?
Delta 8 THC is a naturally-occurring compound. You can find a little bit of it in every cannabis plant, but only a little bit. If it weren’t for modern science, we wouldn’t have an efficient way of extracting D8, and you wouldn’t have access to all these amazing products. Thankfully, the miracle of isomerization is here to save the day.
It’s important to remember that, even though companies use scientific processes to create D8 extract, it is a 100% natural compound, just like CBD. Our top priority is guaranteeing you the best cannabis experience in the world, which is why we prioritize quality overall. Third-party lab testing guarantees that you get clean and potent Delta 8 THC products every time.